This is the list of free and best video editors for Ubuntu-based operating systems. Try these editors which are completely free to use and share your experience.
Best Video Editors For Ubuntu [ Completely Free ]
Shotcut is a popular open-source and free video editing program. It’s a cross-platform video editor that also runs on Linux. Shotcut is a powerful editor that supports the most recent video and audio formats. It can capture from SDI, HDMI, camera, JACK & Pulse audio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices at resolutions up to 4k. Bass & Treble, Balance, Band Pass, Compressor, Notch, Pan, Reverb, Swap Channels, Normalize: One Pass, Normalize Two-Pass Downmix, Expander, Copy Channel, Gain Delay, High Pass, Limiter, Low Pass, and more Shotcut audio filters are included.
Surprisingly, the Blackmagic Decklink card on the NTSC monitor may also be used to link out external monitors.
Some of the features are:
- Supports picture sequences as well as popular image formats like BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF, and WebP.
- Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP).
- It is also available in a portable mode that lets you run as a portable app from an external drive.
- Supports Audio mixing across all tracks.
- Video compositing across video tracks.
- Video Filters:Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Lens Correction, Levels, 3D LUT, Mask: Apply, Mask: From File, Mask: Simple Shape, Mirror, Mosaic, Noise: Fast, Noise: Keyframes, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Reduce Noise: HQ3DN, Reduce Noise: Smart Blur, RGB Shift, Rotate and Scale, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Sketch, Spot Remover, Stabilize, Swirl, Text: 3D, Text: Simple, Text: HTML, Timer, Vignette, Unpremultiply Alpha, Wave, White Balance, Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Audio Dance Visualization, Audio Light Visualization, Audio Spectrum Visualization, Audio Waveform Visualization, Blur: Box, Blur: Exponential, Blur: Gaussian, Blur: Low Pass, Brightness, Chroma Hold, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop: Source, Crop: Circle, Crop: Rectangle, Distort, Flip, Glitch, Glow, Grid, Hue/Lightness/Saturation, Invert Colors.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option.
- Remove the audio track from the video clip.
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring.
Install Shotcut in Ubuntu using snap:
snap install shotcut --classic
OpenShot is another popular cross-platform video editing software available for Linux. Openshot is a multi feature-rich video editor that is pretty easy to use too.
Some of the features that you will find on OpenShot are:
- It is cross-platform video editing software (Linux, Mac, and Windows)
- Video transitions with real-time previews
- Unlimited tracks/layers
- Compositing, image overlays, watermarks
- 3D animated titles (and effects)
- Audio mixing and editing
- Frame accuracy (step through each frame of video)
- Time-mapping and speed changes on clips (slow/fast, forward/backward, etc…)
Install OpenShot in Ubuntu using the following commands:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openshot.developers/ppa $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install openshot-qt
Or you can download OpenShot from this link.
Kdenlive or KDE Non-Linear Video Editor is an open-source and free-to-use video editor for Linux. Started in 2003, Kdenlive is built on Qt and the KDE Frameworks libraries.
Some of the features of Kdenlive are:
- Supports multi-track video editing
- Create 2D titles for your projects.
- Dozens of effects are available, ranging from color correction to audio adjustments, as well as all the standard transform options.
- Proxy editing.
- A flexible theming engine is capable of a variety of light and dark themes.
Install Kdenlive on Ubuntu and Debian using the following command:
sudo apt install kdenlive
You can also download the Kdenliv from this link.
VidCutter is a simple, lightweight, open-source, and free-to-use video editing software for Linux. Some of the features that you will find on VidCutter are:
- SmartCut – frame-accurate cutting technology
- libmpv based hardware accelerated playback engine
- OpenGL video rendering
- save the project to continue setting up clips later
- backend supported by the power of FFmpeg.
You can download the VidCutter from this link.