Insight: Open Source Alternatives To Windows Software In 2019
Windows operating system is popular not because of easy to use, it’s because of plenty of useful applications available only for windows operating system. In this post, We are going to list out some of the important open source alternatives to Windows software for Linux based operating system.
Open Source Alternatives To Windows Software In 2019
1. Office Suite
One of the most popular software for Windows operating system is Microsoft Office package. One of the reason behind Windows popular in desktop segment is Microsoft Office package. Sadly, Microsoft office is not available for Linux based platform.
Meanwhile, There are plenty of an alternatives to the Microsoft Office package for Linux.
- LibreOffice: LibreOffice is most used and popular alternative to the Microsoft Office package. It is also available as a default office suite in most of the Linux operating system.
- Gnome Office: Gnome Office is an another Office suite available for Linux distros. It is basically developed for Gnome based Linux operating system.
- Apache OpenOffice: Apache OpenOffice is an open source and cross platform office suite for Linux. It is developed by Apache foundation.
- Calligra: Calligra Office suite is developed by KDE.
2. Image Processing
There are plenty of image processing applications available for Windows operating system. Some of the popular Windows based image processing/editing applications are Adobe suite, Core suite and etc. There are plenty of good alternatives available to Windows based image processing and editing applications.
- GIMP: Gimp is one of the leading image editing application for Linux. It can be considered as a good alternative to Adobe Photoshop.
- Krita: Krita is an open source painting software for Linux based operating system. It is an alternatives to Clip Studio Paint, Corel Painter and etc.
- Inkscape: Inkscape is a popular alternative to Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. It is used for vector image processing.
- DarkTable: DarkTable is an open source photography workflow application. It also supports raw image processing. It is an alternative to Adobe Lightroom.
3. Computer Aided Design ( CAD)
- BRL-CAD: BRL-CAD is an oldest cross-platform and open source CAD tool. It includes interactive 3D solid geometry editing feature, high-performance ray-tracing support for rendering and geometric analysis, path-tracing and photon mapping support for realistic image synthesis, network-distributed framebuffer support, image and signal-processing tools, an embedded scripting interface, and many more.
- LibreCAD: LibreCAD is an another popular open source and cross platform CAD tool for Linux. It is an alternative to Autodesk AutoCad software.
- FreeCAD: FreeCAD is an alternative to SolydWorks software. It is popular open source parametric 3D modeling software. It is one of the most used computer aided design software in Linux.
4. Audio Editing
- AUDACITY: Audacity is a popular audio editing application for Linux based operating system. It is a popular alternative to the Adobe Audition. It is free, open source and cross platform editing.
- MIXXX: Mixxx is a free and open source Dj mixing software. It is cross platform tool. Efficient tool to create and mix a music in Linux.
- Ardour: An open source and cross platform tool to record, edit and mix audio in Linux.
5. Video Editing
- KDENLive: KDENLive is a free and open-source video editing software and is based on the MLT Framework, KDE and Qt. It is considered as an alternative to Adobe Premier, MAGIX and Sony Vegas.
- Shotcut: Shotcut is another popular video editing software for Linux. It also supports 4K videos.
- Natron: It is a cross platform open source application for video editing and composition. It is an composting software VFX and motion graphics. It is considered as an alternative to Adobe After Effects.
6. Desktop Publishing/Page Layout
- Scribus: Scribus is an open source and cross platform page layout software. It is an alternative to Adobe Indesign and QuarkXPress.
7. 3D Animation And Modeling
- Blender: Blender is a popular alternative to AUTODESK 3DS MAX and AUTODESK MAYA. Blender is the free and open source 3D creation suite.