Last modified on August 14th, 2020 at 02:08 am
Insight: Open Source Alternatives To Windows Software In 2020
Windows operating system is popular not because of easy to use, it’s because of plenty of useful applications available only for windows operating system.
In this post, We are going to list out some of the important open-source alternatives to Windows software for Linux based operating system.
Open Source Alternatives To Windows Software In 2020
1. Office Suite
One of the most popular software for the Windows operating system is the Microsoft Office package. One of the reasons behind Windows popular in the desktop segment is the Microsoft Office package. Sadly, Microsoft office is not available for Linux based platform.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of alternatives to the Microsoft Office package for Linux.
- LibreOffice: LibreOffice is the most used and popular alternative to the Microsoft Office package. It is also available as a default office suite in most of the Linux operating system.
- Gnome Office: Gnome Office is another Office suite available for Linux distros. It is basically developed for Gnome based Linux operating system.
- Apache OpenOffice: Apache OpenOffice is an open-source and cross-platform office suite for Linux. It is developed by the Apache foundation.
- Calligra: Calligra Office suite is developed by KDE.
2. Image Processing
There are plenty of image processing applications available for the Windows operating system. Some of the popular Windows-based image processing/editing applications are Adobe suite, Core suite and etc. There are plenty of good alternatives available to Windows-based image processing and editing applications.
- GIMP: Gimp is one of the leading image editing applications for Linux. It can be considered as a good alternative to Adobe Photoshop.
- Krita: Krita is an open-source painting software for Linux based operating system. It is an alternative to Clip Studio Paint, Corel Painter and etc.
- Inkscape: Inkscape is a popular alternative to Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. It is used for vector image processing.
- DarkTable: DarkTable is an open source photography workflow application. It also supports raw image processing. It is an alternative to Adobe Lightroom.
3. Computer Aided Design ( CAD)
- BRL-CAD: BRL-CAD is the oldest cross-platform and open-source CAD tool. It includes interactive 3D solid geometry editing feature, high-performance ray-tracing support for rendering and geometric analysis, path-tracing, and photon mapping support for realistic image synthesis, network-distributed framebuffer support, image, and signal-processing tools, an embedded scripting interface, and many more.
- LibreCAD: LibreCAD is another popular open-source and cross-platform CAD tool for Linux. It is an alternative to Autodesk AutoCad software.
- FreeCAD: FreeCAD is an alternative to SolydWorks software. It is a popular open-source parametric 3D modeling software. It is one of the most used computer-aided design software in Linux.
4. Audio Editing
- AUDACITY: Audacity is a popular audio editing application for Linux based operating system. It is a popular alternative to the Adobe Audition. It is free, open-source, and cross-platform editing.
- MIXXX: Mixxx is a free and open-source Dj mixing software. It is a cross-platform tool. Efficient tool to create and mix music in Linux.
- Ardour: An open-source and cross-platform tool to record, edit, and mix audio in Linux.
5. Video Editing
- KDENLive: KDENLive is a free and open-source video editing software and is based on the MLT Framework, KDE and Qt. It is considered as an alternative to Adobe Premier, MAGIX, and Sony Vegas.
- Shotcut: Shotcut is another popular video editing software for Linux. It also supports 4K videos.
- Natron: It is a cross-platform open-source application for video editing and composition. It is a composting software VFX and motion graphics. It is considered as an alternative to Adobe After Effects.
6. Desktop Publishing/Page Layout
- Scribus: Scribus is an open-source and cross-platform page layout software. It is an alternative to Adobe Indesign and QuarkXPress.
7. 3D Animation And Modeling
- Blender: Blender is a popular alternative to AUTODESK 3DS MAX and AUTODESK MAYA. Blender is the free and open-source 3D creation suite.